My camp meals are designed to be quick and nutritious, relatively neat, use few dishes, and have quick clean-up.
Beet and Chard Risotto Cakes (good for dinner and breakfast)
Make beet risotto at home the night before you leave and fridgerate overnight. The next morning form the risotto into cakes, separated by wax or parchment paper, and put in a container in your cooler. When you get to camp, just pan fry the cakes in some olive oil and butter on both sides until warmed through. How I make beet risotto:
- Roast 2 medium-large beets in foil at 350 until soft. When they cool a bit, peel, then chop and set aside.
- Saute a chopped onion in 1T of butter with 2 cloves garlic until soft
- Add 1 1/2 cups arborio rice and a bunch of chopped swiss chard or spinach and saute for a bit. If you like your greens less cooked, feel free to stir them in at the end.
- Add 1/2 cup white wine and let bubble a bit. Turn heat down to low.
- When wine has boiled off/absorbed, add stock (chicken or veggie), 1/2 cup at a time until the rice is tender (usually about 2 cups or so)
- Stir in chopped beets and 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper
This makes enough for 4-6 servings
More Coming Soon!
- Black Beans Dinner and Breakfast
- Spaghetti Dinner and egg scramble breakfast
- Cheesy Muffins with eggs
- Shredded Pork Quesadillas